About

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tasty Tuesday - Jamaican Pig on a Stick

I've decided I'm going to make Tuesdays.....Tasty Tuesdays.....here at Sugared Magnolias. Food has to be one of my favorite past times. Be it cooking or eating ; I'm always in a happy place if there is food involved.
The recipe I'm sharing today is one I've had for about 5 years now. At first it seemed very daunting because of all of the ingredients put into it. I was afraid it would be extremely over powering. Not in the least is it overpowering.....It's mouthwatering! It comes from one of my favorite cooks.....Mrs. Paula Deen herself :o)I love that woman! I mean any person who can come up with something called 'Ooey Gooey Butter Cake' is all right by me.

Jamaican Pig on a Stick (source)

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds pork tenderloin
  • 1/2 cup light soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Dora's Jerk Seasoning, recipe follows
  • Caribbean Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
  • Special equipment: 2 dozen (10-inch) wooden skewers soaked in water for 20 minutes, then drained well.

Directions

Cut tenderloin in half crosswise. Cut each half lengthwise into 4-inch thin strips. Place pork in a heavy duty re-sealable plastic bag.
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, and jerk seasoning. Pour over pork. Seal bag, and marinate pork in refrigerator, 1 hour.
Turn on broiler.
When ready to cook the pork, line a broiler pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease rack and place on pan. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade.
Thread pork onto skewers in an "s" shape. Place skewers in a single layer on a prepared pan. Broil 5 inches from heat for 8 minutes, turning once. Serve warm with Caribbean Dipping Sauce.

1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dried, crushed Scotch bonnet pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried chives
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: 1/2 cup (You will not use all of this seasoning. I keep my extra in a small glass mason jar to be used next time. Spices don't 'good bad' and there's no use in wasting.)

Caribbean Dipping Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 (18-ounce) jar orange marmalade
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add pepper and ginger, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in marmalade, lime juice, and salt. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
*Cook's Note: Jalapeno peppers are extremely hot. We recommend wearing disposable gloves when handling them.
Yield: 2 cups


I personally have never made the dipping sauce. I'm not much of a sauce person because I feel it masks other flavors in the meat or from the cooking process. If anyone does try please let me know what you think. I have also tried this marinade on whole pork tenderloins. Marinating them for 4 hours before grilling....There are no words for the juicy pieces of pork heaven that come off the grill. 

If you give this a try please come back and let me know what you thought!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment