About

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Simple Things

A child will teach you many things if you let them. How to love unconditionally. How to find joy in the smallest things. How to get goldfish crumbs in the tiniest car seat cracks.
During playtime today Holden taught me a lesson I seem to have forgotten in the last few years. He has tons of toys! Toys inside, toys outside, toys in the car and yet we always find him playing with something random. Like today. You'd never think that 2 sticks could make a child so happy.  He played in the back yard for a solid 45 minutes with just 2 sticks. Making me realize it really is the simple things in life that bring the most joy. In a world filled with social media, t.v. programs for everything from cooking to reality shows about Teen Mothers you tend to get wrapped up in the craziness that is life today.

So, while cooking dinner tonight I took out two of my favorite cookbooks (Farm House Cookbook / With Heart & Hand) and realized that it was the first time they had been out of the cabinet in over 6 months. I didn't need all these fancy websites to give me ideas for dinner. I had my cabinet of cookbooks from my Mother, my Mother in Law, Grandmother and Daddy. They bring me joy. It may just be a simple cookbook but to me it means more. The recipes are tried and true. Cookbooks from family vacation destinations, cookbooks showcasing true home-style recipes and cookbooks put together with love by countless little, old ladies of Hallsboro Baptist Church. And if your Southern you know NO ONE cooks better then a Baptist! So I vow to take a step back and look at the simpler things in life, slow down a little and make  Mama's Molasses Crumb Cake on page 332. It's screaming my name!!  How about you? What are your simple joys in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment